HeForShe is a solidarity campaign for gender equality initiated by UN Women. Its goal is to recruit men to take action against the inequalities faced by women and girls.
For decades, the women’s movement has led the struggle for gender equality. Although important advances have been made in the rights and well-being of women and girls, gender equality is yet to be fully achieved anywhere in the world.
We argue that men must be brought into the gender equality conversations. Gender equality liberates not only women, but also men and gender nonconforming persons, from prescribed social roles and gender stereotypes.
Here are our group objectives:
- To recruit men at Columbia University to take action against the inequalities faced by women and girls.
- To create a discussion space for issues of gender identity. The group welcomes all students, regardless of gender, race, religion, ability, or sexual orientation.
- To familiarize Columbia students with the global role played by UN Women.
- To create a long-term philanthropic partnership with one NYC women’s organization.
- To direct students to campus gender-related offices and resources.
- To partner with other student groups addressing gender equality.